Saturday, December 31, 2011

My Top 11 Songs for 2011

For me, 2011 has been a most unique year for music. Here are my favorites for the year. Tell me yours!

11. Adele - "Rolling in the Deep"



This song has been ubiquitous for most of this year, and for once in recent popular music's history, quality matched popularity. Cheers to Adele. She made this year more memorable for most of us, I bet.

10. Britney Spears - "Till the World Ends"



The more I listen to this song, the more I seem to like it. I have been a fan of Britney Spears ever since her first album (I was one of the first of her fans way back in my high school days) and to grow up with her music made my life so much more colorful. I know deep in my heart that in that theoretical scenario, I will indeed be one of those who will be dancing till the world ends.

9. Maroon 5 - "Moves Like Jagger"



Unlike most of you, this song did not hit me straight in the face the first time I heard it. Only with repeated exposure did it unconsciously worm its way into my brain to give me that LSS. There was one night I played this on loop while I danced like crazy, alone in the living room. I may not know how to whistle, but I guess I know how to move like Jagger.

8. Foster the People - "Pumped Up Kicks"



It was one of those rare moments when you first listen to a song in the radio and immediately, you couldn't get it out of your system. I had to do some research before I was able to know even the title of this song, because I guess I was one of the first to listen to it. I am very happy that this song became popular because recently, I have been increasingly inclined towards indie music.

7. Rihanna feat. Calvin Harris - "We Found Love"



There is a sheer but simple euphoria to this song, and I've been loving it weeks before it hit mainstream consciousness. This song made me realize that I will always be a big fan of dance music. A most memorable video too.

6. Ke$ha - "Blow"



All in all, I think this is the best Ke$ha song ever. I can see myself in it - doing what the song says and living in it. And of course, me and my colleagues in IC performed this song in one of our best dance routines. I can still remember the dance steps to this one.

5. Lady Gaga - "Judas"



For me, nothing beats "Paparazzi" but this is my favorite cut from her slightly disappointing "Born This Way" album. Too bad it did not make it big in the rest of the world, probably because of its controversial video. Still love that swinging dance step though.

4. Avril Lavigne - "What the Hell"







Avril has been severely overshadowed by other artists this year, and I bet many have completely forgotten about her in their own yearend favorite lists. This may not be her best year ("Goodbye Lullaby" was a bad album) but I surely had fun playing this song on loop for weeks. I also enjoyed playing this song on my guitar even if it was terribly difficult to sing it without my voice being reduced to squeaks in the chorus.

3. Britney Spears - "I Wanna Go"



How can I forget the many times I've played this song in the Junior Faculty Room when "Femme Fatale" (which is one the best pop albums I've ever listened to) was leaked online? I've loved this song months before it was released and this will always remain as one of my faves from Britney. The perfect song to play before I go out to party!

2. Katy Perry - "Last Friday Night (T.G.I.F.)"



It was a moment of awesomeness for me when I heard that this song was to be released as Katy's next single because I've helped popularize this song in my "808" album which was released last year. I even made a music video for this! Every time people remember me because of this song, I couldn't help but be elated because that is exactly my major objective in making albums. Silly the song may be, but it does describe my recent (and hopefully on-going) partying years.

1. Adele - "Someone Like You"



I chose this song as my favorite this year because like most other people, I can somehow relate to this song. I couldn't quite remember if I cried to this like in that SNL skit (probably a case of selective amnesia) but I know that this is one song which I will carry with me even though I'm old and my heart is worn out. The world has decided that 2011 is definitely Adele's year, and I agree to that wholeheartedly.


No comments:

Post a Comment