Friday, August 3, 2007

Where the World Can See

It's weird being a "writer"... Like we're all hollering out to our readers. Like we're all clamoring for your attention... It's like


"Read me..."


"Try me..."


"Listen to me..."


"Feel me..."


"Hey..."


"Stay..."


I think that when you write, you can't help but expose something about yourself. I'm an avid blogger (I haven't met anyone more addicted than me), and I'm also an avid blog reader, and I know about these things (I don't need to be a CW major to learn about these). When my friends write about their stories - the topics they choose, their tone, how they look at things - those reflect their personality, and by reading their entries, I am, in a way, immersed into their own characters (unless they are professional writers but I'm talking about blogs here). Being placed into their own shoes for a while. I get to know them in another level - perhaps in ways they are not even aware of. I get to discover their secret feelings and intentions.


Just the fact that they have a blog for instance, or when they start a blog but can't maintain it - these things already say something about themselves. For example, this blogger always talks about this guy, even abusing him through words. But what does it really say about her? It means she's in love with him. This blogger always talks about serious stuff. What does it say about him? He wants to be praised and to be considered an intellectual. This blogger always raves about his sex life. What does it say about him? (I might be wrong though.)


It's risky being a writer, because when you are exposed, you become vulnerable. This leads me to the question - why do we need to put up walls? Why can't we just show who we are? Why are we afraid when people get to know too much about ourselves?


Because when they find out about our secrets, they can use them to hurt us?


Why can't we trust our readers?


I used to be a man with many secrets. As I grew up, I learned that there was nothing wrong with sharing. Nothing wrong with asking help from your friends. But looking at who I am now, have I overdone it? With the contents of this blog, you can even call me an open book and I won't disagree. I've placed my heart where the world can see.


But there's a reason, reader, why I am doing this. There's a reason why I chose to talk about this. But I won't tell. I will never tell anyone. Not a soul.


There are secrets I will take with me to my grave. Not because I want to, but because I just can't.

No comments:

Post a Comment