Sunday, March 4, 2007

A Call For All Sexes

I've realized that one of the few bad things about being openly gay is that people begin to consider you as inconsequential. They tend to believe that just because you're gay, you think about men all the time. Deep in their hearts, those people believe that gay people are shallow thinkers - that one mere whisper of "sex" or "hot guy" is enough to drive you out of your more serious thoughts.



This is a matter of importance to me because I am an instructor, and I am very well aware that once my students lose the respect they have for me, things will begin to be very difficult for our relationship. I am not saying that with letting them know everything about me, I have felt disrespect. Actually, what happened was quite the contrary - I've never been more open, never been more close to my students as I am with my present classes. These are, after all, UP students who aren't inhibited by what the older generation believes. I was right about opening up to them. Instead of losing their respect, I even gained more because they didn't think I'd trust them with as big a secret as that.



Another thing those poor misguided people believe is that if you're gay, you'll be feminine. That you'd like the color pink, love flowers, or watch mushy films and cry at the slightest pains.



When I hear people insinuating these things to me, I can't help but be a bit irritated. I know that some gays do want themselves to be transformed into women the next time they wake up - but I am NOT one of those. It's not that I think that trying to be a woman is lowly, I simply like being in my present form, so I wish those stupid people who keep thinking that the next time they see me I'll be wearing skirts, please keep your stupid opinions to yourselves. You're only exposing how blinded and ignorant you are about us.



Some people, perhaps believe that with gayness automatically follows expressiveness. I can't say they're entirely wrong (look at this blog!) and I even agree that they have a point. Stereotyped men are known to be unable to express their thoughts and ideas very well. Gay men are known to be creative and open about their feelings. That's why some women are attracted to gay men - we just have qualities that most hetero's don't.



I've heard some people tallking that they disagree about seeing, hearing, or feeling anything homo. That they don't like how some gay people seem to be shouting out to the world their tabooed sexuality. And I guess some of my more conservative readers can't help but wince or skip my more erotic entries. We shout out because we need to shout this out to the world. This is our own small way of fighting back against the injustices we keep on suffering.



I keep on imploring my readers (I know some of you are closet gays) to come out because I've never felt more free and more happy about myself since deciding to be who I really am. Don't hold it in because I know it is eating you inside. You wouldn't like the psychological damage you'll accumulate through the years. You can trust me because I've been there!



But I also know that not everyone is given the privilege to expose themselves. Our families, I guess, are the main hindrances to our coming out. I was lucky to have an understanding mother. I was lucky to be surrounded by open-minded people. I was blessed to have friends and students who stayed behind me, who didn't believe that being gay is something to be looked down upon.



I understand what you're going through... Don't be afraid to come out. Look at me. Just look at me, and see that there's nothing wrong with being gay. I, for one, will defend you.



(Yikes, nagpaka-hero na naman ako... Haha)



If you can, be finally honest about yourself. You're not alone, you know. Just remember that you can't run away from who you really are. I tried. I made myself believe that I can carry a long-term relationship with a girlfriend, but I had to break free because I just had to know who I really am... And look at me now. I'm flying free...



But I guess not all people are strong enough to do what I did. If you disagree, then prove me wrong. I dare you to.



***



Nga pala, congrats to my baby. He had an article published in today's Inquirer issue! I'm proud of you baby! Mwah mwah!







2 comments:

  1. saludo ako sa inyo sir.
    i know makakaya niyo ang lahat ng problema. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. "That's why some women are attracted to gay men - we just have qualities that most hetero's don't."

    -- ;)

    ReplyDelete