Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Rock-Paper-Scissors


There was once a guy who said he loved me
Though he was the toughest cookie to crack
He was hard as a rock and he gave no guarantee
Yet it was to him that I kept coming back

Then he brought me to this open field
We had to wade through mud and grass
And when the fireflies woke as the daylight waned
He kissed me and that was more than I could ask

But I traded his love for someone I barely knew
Just because it was hot and it was summer
And as I traipsed away, my heart set on what to do
I didn't hear his walled heart split asunder

***

There was once a guy who said he loved me
He was quiet and careful and sweet
Though his words were written on electronic paper
Still his prose knocked me off of my feet

We spent mornings together just sitting on his bed
Eating chocolate bars for breakfast
And as he sang to my guitar, it came into my head
High or low, his love will be steadfast

But he wanted me to quit smoking for good
He preferred that I change for the better
That's when I knew that who I am, he never fully understood
So I sent him this electronic goodbye letter

***

There was once a guy who said he loved me
He was as charming as a Disney prince can be
Though we never could have a meaningful conversation
His hot body was all I needed to see

In an abandoned model house we broke through
And on the dusty floor we lay for hours
He looked me in the eyes as he breathed "I'll miss you"
And I just knew I couldn't be with any other

But then I found out that he was sleeping around
He fooled me and my friends and my mother
So I decided to steal the scissors from his hand
And cut the ropes before I can do murder

***

Love is a game of rock-paper-scissors
Your hand, good timing, and someone new
You can play until your heart gets all sore
Or you can play until you've broken the rules



2 comments:

  1. i guess there's something good in being a coward. most of the time, you don't get hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is true. but you don't grow either.

    ReplyDelete