Thursday, July 12, 2007

Aldasiel's Army

One of the things I thought I have lost this past couple of years was my obsession for Harry Potter. With all the crazy (and sometimes, adult) things I've done recently, I thought I have already outgrown my teenage fantasy about meeting and being the boy who lived. I thought that since I'm already 22, I'd be out of place if I still continue preaching and blabbing about Harry anywhere I go. I believed I was over that "magical" phase... For a while, I was right but



The movie proved me wrong.



In fact, a few minutes after watching the movie, I was brought back on the Hogwarts high I used to feel everyday. For a while after leaving the movie house, I imagined Lord Voldemort lurking somewhere in the mall, and when he appears, his wand pointing at me, I, in the lead, will duel with him assisted by the rest of my students who watched the movie with me. Flashes and bangs. Lightning and fire. It wasn't a crazy thought at all. It felt natural.



At times, in the movie, I can see myself in Harry. It was a strange feeling, watching him teach the DA members about defensive spells. I felt it was a representation of what I am doing with my students (Aldasiel's Army), only instead of teaching spells, I try to teach them about life and love and occasionally, sex. My lessons might not be as exciting and colorful as the spellwork in the movie, but it's what we've got and at least it's real and it has the same purpose - to help my students survive the real world.



Aside from the magic, I like the movie more because of its focus on friendship. Shaming as it is to admit, I almost cried on some parts of the movie because it touched topics close to my heart. Togetherness. Being there. Helping each other. Doing what's right. Rebellion. Friendship.



Friendship friendship...



What has happened to the shy and stoic boy I used to be? Now I'm preaching about things older people should be saying instead. Have I grown up too fast?



What, indeed, has happened to the old me?



Magic?



Whatever.



I'm too old for that stuff.



People just change.

2 comments:

  1. yeah... people do change.. a lot.
    Hi po sir..
    miss ko na kayo...
    =P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you? A lot may have changed from the outside, but mostly it's still the same desires and values springing from the inside - with different manifestations though. The stories in this blog have varied over time, but your love, your friendship, and the realities of your life have been shown with such honesty and courage... you are ever-remarkable. Admirable as always!

    ReplyDelete