Sunday, August 12, 2012

7 Poems

Poetry is one of the few weird things that I indulge myself in every now and then. I consider it weird because I don't go out of my way and think "Oh, I'm going to write a poem" and that makes them somewhat visceral for me. It just happens spontaneously and I maybe it just has something to do with how inspired I am at that moment.

Some things are just better off written as poetry. Now I'm not going to claim I am an expert when it comes to these things. I just feel that some thoughts and stories are better written fragmented. Like a picture show, they allow you to focus on one small fragment at a time.

I browsed through all of my posts here and found that I've written 28 poems since I started blogging in 2005, and as a sop to myself, I decided to collect the best of them in one post. Hoping that maybe, some of you will like them or at least, get something out of them, too.



But enough introductions. Let's get on with the show. Here are my seven best poems, in random order:

LonelyBoy2009
Admittedly, this is not a literary wonder. It's written in a very casual style (as are most of my poems) but I just like how the poem subtly hints behind its casual tone how lonely this boy really is.

Minsan Kapag Gumawa Ka Ng Tula
I think this is my favorite poem all in all. The poem which talks about writing poems. Every time I read this poem I get transported back to that time while I was writing this - back in my dormitory bed with the soft yellow lights of my lamp to my left and the bleakness of the night outside my window to my right, and oh, the loneliness within.

Ang Titik O
This is a hilarious story about me and my friends going to this bar. I like this a lot. It's the only feel good poem I've ever written, I think, and I just love the ending.

Three Girls and a Love Letter
This is written in a different style than most of my poems. It's a story poem about a pivotal day in the hetero life I used to live.

Mamayang Gabi, Sa Basketball Court
The basketball court I was referring to here was at Sikatuna Bliss where I used to stay. I got the idea one night while I was walking past it, and there were some good-looking men playing basketball beneath a full moon and I suppose the brightness of the moon woke up this sex-hungry wolf within me and made me conjure these raunchy images in my head. There are several disturbing lines in here.

Gwapo sa Gwapo
This is a simple poem about the lifestyles most of the gay men I see online have adopted. I used to detest them for this, but now I understand. I've become one of them now. Sad, but there's no helping it.

My Malayogenic Love
This is a fairly recent poem I wrote and I got the idea while I was working at the review center. I was sitting at the back and I was stealing looks at one of the cuter students. I never felt anything strongly for this guy though. In fact, this poem isn't about a single person at all but a collage of bits and pieces about love I've learned over the years.

So there, that's it. I know I'm not the best poem writer there is. Maybe I'm just glad I get inspired enough occasionally to create something longer-lasting from my experiences. And I'm just glad I am able to share them with you.

What about you? Do you have some poems to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment