Tuesday, October 25, 2005

Another Day

Today I woke just in time. It was 7am when I opened my eyes, put on my shirt, and jumped off Boi's bed.



I was early pa nga. I went first to the eating room since the seminar room was still closed. What did I learn today? In the morning, the Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs, Dr. Betsy Enriquez, showed us some information about the UP student -  how we (I'm still a student) are distributed per college, the gender distribution per college,  shifitng reasons, teacher complaints, STFAP distribution, disciplinary cases, dormitory data, etc. Do you know that the there are more female students in UP than males? The ratio is roughly 2:1. That is probably why the girls are so flirtatious, they have competition! The College of Engineering has the highest number of students, followed by CSSP, CAL, Educ, and CS. All colleges have a higher number of female students except for Engg, CHK, and another one which I forgot. Some are largely dominated by females (AIT, Educ, and CHE). By the way, did you know that having weight problems is one of the reasons for poor academic performance of some students? There was even one who said that his/her reason for shifting to other courses was - "lover, not the friendly type".



Then, the topic turned to student cheating - what to do in such cases. It was a really complicated topic and there was really no strict procedure to follow.



After that, we talked about the importance of the syllabus. How to make a proper one, and how it contributes to effective teaching. It was a really good thing to discuss. Unfortunately, I cannot just revise the Chem16 syllabus (which needs some revision). I have to raise the topic in a meeting, inform the heads, we have to talk and discuss, etc etc. At least, I am the lab coordinator so I have a little right to talk about these.



After lunch, we talked about objectives. As students, we usually dismiss the objectives in the syllabus. Probabaly because it is a bit boring to read and understand. It just was because it wasn't written properly. The objectives should have been the center of the course since it dictates what the students should learn and how they would do that. We were also taught not to use vague words like "to learn.." or "to do.." in writing objectives. We should use more active and specific words such as "to somersault.." or "to integrate.."



Anyway, I am becoming more and more like a typical teacher each day I attend the seminar. But one thing I promise you is that I will not change my style. I will always strive for magic, difference, coolness, and outrageousness. Of course, there is still the usual honor, professionalism, and all that educational jargon.



I was thinking whether I will still be like this, lets say, 5 years from now. I will be 25 by then.. I'd say I will still be the same. But how about after 10 years? Most probably, I will not be handling labs by then.. As you grow old, you lose the fun? No. I will find other ways to make my classes uniquely satisfying. Ako pa?



Haay I really cannot wait until this sem starts! Then , I will be too engrossed in my classes I would probably forget about this Blog. So now when I still have the time, I will get the most out of this. Too bad for you.. What will you be reading then?



Last night was not one of those nights (thank goodness) so I woke up refreshed and worry-free. No heartaches worth writing about today. Well, that's something new for you..



Moneyaches naman. SIgh. Ang tagal ng sweldo. Shit kailangan ko na mag-ipon.. How will I be able to buy a new fone? And my birthday is approaching.. less than 30 days to go. I would probably just be eating adobong sitaw or monggo on my birthday. Sigh. Dami kcng gastos. Im always at SM (at least 4 times a week). Grabe talaga.



I need to go now. I need to withdraw some money or else I won't be having any dinner tonight. I should have just gone straight home instead of spending my money here.. Haha. Nah.. no amount of money can replace the satisfaction (and release) I get when I Blog.. Except perhaps a million bucks? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment