Tuesday, October 11, 2005

I Will Never Forget the Eleventh

I woke up at 9am (I think), and I listened to the CD I made. I called it "Eleven". Because it has only 11 tracks and it was October 11 and because... (figure this last one out). Well, I was having another bout of the blues.. So I decided that I would be using it for a better and more useful purpose. I got up out of bed. And ironed the shirt I had made. It says "CHEM16 TFW2QR2 Ist Sem 05-06" in front and "Excelsior!" at the back. The back message was written in Old English (ala Gwen Stefani), while the front was in a simpler pa-cute font. I ironed it, following the instructions carefully (it was air-sprayed, so it has to be done in quite a different manner) then I ironed my jeans. All done while listening to "Eleven".



Then, i took a bath. There was no timba in the banyo so I had to use the tabo alone. Tin was using the timba, she was doing laundry. I was not feeling very well. I have a slight fever, because the night before, I walked home on a drizzly night without an umbrella. (I'm really not sure about the cause..) Then, I set off for IC. I even forgot the CD so I had to go back. I went straight to PH1201 where LE is proctoring an exam. She told me she won't be able to come with me, but I convinced her otherwise, and we talked about some essential "stuff". I stayed in the office for a while, waiting for the exam to finish. I borrowed her CD player, and I listened once again to "Eleven".



Then, we set off. We took the MRT to go to Megamall and there was a slight embarrassment (courtesy of LE) on our way out of the station. When we arrived at PowerBooks, I wasn't able to see my students straightaway. I even thought they were hiding. There was Adrian, Archar, Marnie, Bianca, and (to my dismay..joke!) Zynka.



We decided to eat lunch at Almon Marina because it was what we first found (just a few steps from PowerBooks) and to try something new. I ordered pasta with salad and sausage. All of us ordered similar meals except for Bianca and Archar (lasagna). We made believe we were in Italy while eating. Midway through our meal, Mama Ren came (with dessert!) from UP (she had her defense). She gave us some cookies they made. Then, my students surprised me by giving me a wonderful photo album (complete with pictures and letters). I glanced at the pictures but did not read the letters yet. I was incoherent for a few moments (because i was touched).



Meal over, off we went to the Ice Skating Rink! Most of us will be skating for the first time (including me). I was a BIT nervous. I put on the skating shoes and found that it was very hard to keep my balance. When I stepped on the rink, I found it was DOUBLY VERY hard not to fall! Anyway, I managed to learn to skate step by step. And I fell more than ten times all in all. We had loads of fun. It was very memorable.. the first time I skated, I was with my favorite students... Anyhow, not everyone (I think) was enjoying. Adrian had many dangerous (and painful) falls. Bianca too.. And Mama Ren.. Almost everyone was hurt at some point. Well, that is life (I thought). It isnt complete without pain.. I liked skating (I can still feel the gliding motion of my legs right now), and I had loads of fun!



Then, we went to the Arcade. We played some games in there. I was with LE most of the time because we were spending (and spent) our tokens on House of the Dead II.



Tired and hungry (it was 4pm) they ate some waffles. I bought some blue cotton candy, and we sat at a table in the food court. There, I gave them a quiz on how well they know me, because I said that I will be giving something personal. Bianca won with 10 points over 15. I gave her the CD and she was really grateful. Little did they know how much that meant to me.. Maybe you will never know, or maybe you already knew, but I was giving away a part of my life in that CD. Don't worry Bianca, I have another copy.. That CD symbolizes so much about things which have happened. Big events in my life - turning points, realizations, outcomes.. Things my class does not know. Or again, maybe you already know.. Please keep it and take care of it... But alas, another surprise. tey gave me another gift. Something wrapped in hand-made wrapper and placed in a hand-made box. I opened it and there was a tie! That was my real first tie. I usually borrow from my dad. Thank you very much! To me, it means something. Something about growth, change, and age. Something about my future..



We skated some more before going up to the 5th floor (using the elevator) to sing! I sang the first song, "Unwell". That fits.. I was.. both physically and emotionally. Mama Ren and Zynka (and LE cge na nga) were videoke queens. Zynka getting madder (and more aggressive) every second. Mama Ren sang "Dreaming Of You", Zynka sang "Weak", Bianca sang Avril's "Why", Archar sang "Out of Reach", Aids sang "Salamat", Marnie sang "Sana'y Wala Nang Wakas", LE sang "Barenaked", and I sang "Paglisan". I was on the point of crying after the first verse, but they made me laugh so it went off. The last song was "Thanks to You" (Was it? Or was the title "Thank You"?). They stood and each sang a part of the song. Of course I cried. I was holding back my tears even when they were singing other songs. I kept on thinking "Will I ever see them again?", and "I wish we could have had more time together" and "Why do we have to let go?" After their song, I wiped away my tears.. I should have let it all out. Now I'm feeling like a dam..



Then we went home (it was almost 9pm). Ive never felt so appreciated yet so sad. I will never forget that day. One by one we went our separate ways.. Bianca and Mama Ren took a bus. Adrian got off at Cubao Station. Marnie was left to find a bus at Quezon Avenue. Archar was left on the van going to Sandiganbayan. Zynka and I had our dinner together at McDonald's Philcoa. I even forgot that it was quite late, and that I wouldn't be able to get my usual dinner if I did not eat right then. Zynka and I rode the tricycle together and we reached her place first. We even said goodbye twice.. I was left alone..



At the boarding house, I opened the photo album. I read the letters. Shit, I wanted to cry! I do not know.. I was just so happy that I was able to touch the lives of these wonderful students and that somehow, I became a part of them.



Sigh.. Will I ever see you all again? I am going to miss teaching all of you! I had a great time teaching you.. I liked being there.. You know what my greates gift for all of you was? It is not the Chem knowledge.. it is not the good times weve had. It is the friendship you have developed with each other. I have made you close friends, and that is something which will last for a long time. Even if it was so short-lived.



We may see each other again, probably. I will still be at UP, and I may roam around the campus occasionally. And there will come a time when we will grow apart.. Yes, that happens.. and we may not have so many words to say to each other. But deep inside, in the sparkle of my eye, there is something which still burns. And that is the memory of the wonderful times we have spent with each other. Something irreplaceable. Memories which I will take with me to my dying day. Exaggerated? Think again. I have made teaching my life. This has been me, and will always be me.



Class, I love you. I miss you. I'm always here.



"Di mo man silip ang langit,
Di mo man silip.. ito'y nandirito pa rin.
Kung ang lahat ay may katapusan,
Itong paglalakbay ay makakarating din sa paroroonan,
At sa iyong paglisan
Ang tanging pabaon ko
Ay pag-ibig"

No comments:

Post a Comment