Friday, January 5, 2007

Music Update: Plans for the Upcoming Album "Light" Revealed

We had a lot of free time left in yesterday's Chem 16 class and I decided to use the extra time to get to know my students better. Everyone told something about themselves the rest of us didn't know. Some told shocking revelations. Some told their eccentricities and their psychotic tendencies. I had a lot of fun listening to what my students wanted to share about themselves.



Then it was my turn to say something. Probably because I had difficulty choosing which to reveal and which to hide, I wasn't able to tell them something straightaway so they had to lead me with questions. In the end, I decided that I could trust my class so I confessed about my sexuality and the issues which come with it.



It was a big step for my personal growth, I think. And it will make my students closer to me. Maybe it will encourage them to do better in the subject if they know that their teacher trusts them and is willing to be their friend. Maybe not. The die is cast, whatever the consequences.



And that leads me to the new album I will be releasing before the sem ends this March. I haven't really prepared for it yet. So far, I only have about less than ten possible songs I can include for the album in my head and I have to finalize it by February! Last year's album, "Time Of My Life" was 70 or 80 percent complete at this same time last year. Will I be able to give a good enough album to give to my students this sem?



What makes it harder for me to choose songs for my new compilation  is that I have already included suitable songs for D's album "On the Horizon" which was already released last October. I wanted to give my students new songs for their own album but my stock of good and happy songs have almost been exhausted by my previous effort. I need to do some more research, exert more effort to come up with a good enough album this March.



The working title for my next album is "Light" which I coined from Robert Jordan's upcoming book, "A Memory of Light". I even had a working cover saved in my fone but (sobs) it's gone now... So...



"Light" will focus more on the theme of redemption, in contrast to the dark and dreary album which was "Break" released early October last year. My concept for the album is that it will start with a sort of "breaking out" (similar to "Break"'s "End of Me" and "Somewhere I Belong") but delivered in a lighter yet still angsty side. It will continue breezing through happily in love songs, some not that happy, with ala-Britney's "Stronger"-like songs (but that song will definitely not be included) dispersed evenly throughout to add variation, and will close with a song I've already disclosed in my current Chem 28.1 class.



Perhaps with the loss of my fone (it always comes down to this isn’t it?) I'll be able to spend more time to look up new songs for my new album. And I might as well start now.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Sir...

    I just want to say I like your personality. Your sincerity and honesty just rocks. You remind me a lot about myself. (may ganun) I don't wish to boast myself so ... I what I'm really trying to say is hope we'll know more about each other. Sincere din po me at honest. Hindi lang halata. Mabilis rin akong magtiwala, and I believe it is an asset.

    ReplyDelete