Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Electrique Anthology

Tracklist Legend:
Red - Song of the album
Green - Personal favorites
Blue - Significant songs



Eleven2ELEVEN
Release Date: October 11, 2005

Working Title: Six Feet Under
Copies Made: 2

History: This was supposed to be for O, but he didn't show up where I was supposed to meet him so I gave this to another instead.
Why "Eleven"?: 11 tracks, given on the 11th of October, and his class number was 11

Tracklist:
01 Avril Lavigne - How Does It Feel

02 Plumb - Boys Don't Cry
03 6 Cycle Mind - Sige

04 Natalie Imbruglia - Left Of The Middle
05 Marion Raven - Six Feet Under
06 The Corrs - What Can I Do
07 Session Road - Suntok Sa Buwan

08 Westlife - Can't Lose What You Never Had
09 Simple Plan - When I'm With You
10 Avril Lavigne - Fall To Pieces
11 Sugarfree - Kuwarto



About the songs: Too sad and unformed. Musically varied. Some songs shouldn't have been included, but all in all, still manages to capture the feel of hopeless love.



Rating: 2.5 out of 5

B4m



BACK FOR MORE
Release Date: November 2005
Working Title: Wheat Field
Copies Made: 15

History: A gift for my closest class on my first sem of teaching. Aside from songs for my students, this also includes songs about me, O, Y, and about the three of us.
Why "Back For More"?: From a track of the same name. The song says, "When you think the party's over/ Look over your shoulder/ I'm at your door/ Coming back for more." So what I really wanted to say with this album was that I will not really go unless they'll forget about me first.



Tracklist:
01 Avril Lavigne - Take Me Away

02 Frente - Bizarre Love Triangle
03 Britney Spears - Someday (I Will Understand)

04 Hale - Broken Sonnet
05 Linkin Park - My December

06 Simple Plan - Everytime
07 Michelle Branch - One Of These Days
08 Gabrielle - Out Of Reach

09 Lifehouse - Blind
10 Gwen Stefani - Luxurious
11 Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends
12 Natalie Imbruglia - Goodbye

13 Plumb - Taken
14 The Cranberries - Dreaming My Dreams
15 A Teens - Back For More
16 Ryan Cabrera - Always Come Back To You

17 Sarah McLachlan - I Will Remember You
18 Bonnie Bailey - Ever After
19 Alanis Morissette - You Learn



About the songs: Still musically immature. Lacks overall cohesiveness, except for the first 9 tracks which flow perfectly from one to the next. Heart-rending. The last track, though well-meaning, seems ill-fitted after following a dance track.



Rating: 3.5 out of 5



Toml2



TIME OF MY LIFE
Release Date: March 2006

Working Title: Toy's Story
Copies Made: 75



History: Covers the period from when O "left" me to my relationship with Y, as well as the trials we had to go through because of my twisted sexuality.
Why "Time Of My Life"?: From Oasis' "Don't Go Away" which says, "So don't go away/ Say what to say/ Say that you'll stay/ Forever and a day/ In the time of my life/ 'Cause I need more time/ Yes I need more time/ Just to make things right." No other song in the album could have put the theme better than that.



Tracklist:
01 Gorillaz - November Has Come

02 Bachelor Girl - Buses And Trains
03 Gwen Stefani - The Real Thing
04 Backstreet Boys - I Still

05 Imago - Akap
06 Radioactive Sago Project - Alcohol
07 Sugababes - Obsession
08 Natalie Imbruglia - Intuition

09 Simple Plan - My Alien
10 Mariah Carey - We Belong Together
11 Tori Amos - A Sorta Fairytale
12 Alanis Morissette - Simple Together
13 Marion Raven - Little By Little (not included in earlier copies)
14 Lifehouse - Chapter One

15 Sheryl Crow - The First Cut Is The Deepest
16 Oasis - Don't Go Away

17 The Cranberries - I'm Still Remembering
18 Eraserheads - Minsan
19 Kamikazee - Narda
20 The Beatles - In My Life (hidden track)



About the songs: Too varied. The arrangement of the songs made the whole album sound fragmented into three parts. Individually, most of the songs are good. The introductory songs are particularly boring, although with better arrangement, they could have stood out well.



Rating: 2.5 out of 5



Lovely2



LOVELY
Release Date: May 2006
Working Title: Lovely
Copies Made: 45

History: My first greatest hits album which includes choice tracks from the earlier three as well as 8 new tracks.
Why "Lovely"?: "Lovely" was the name given by my "Back For More" students when I used to make kwento about Y and me's relationship, and what better title to name my album than to use that, since essentially, the past two semesters centered around her and her love. However, the exact release date was a few days after we broke up, and it was too late to cancel the album.



Tracklist:
01 The Cranberries - Daffodil Lament
02 Switchfoot - You
03 Kelly Clarkson - Beautiful Disaster
04 Madonna - I Deserve It
05 Lifehouse - Blind
06 Marion Raven - Six Feet Under
07 Sheryl Crow - The First Cut Is The Deepest

08 Gin Blossoms - As Long As It Matters
09 Natalie Imbruglia - Left Of The Middle
10 Ryan Cabrera - Always Come Back To You
11 Imago - Akap
12 Oasis - Don't Go Away
13 The Beatles - In My Life
14 Westlife - Can't Lose What You Never Had
15 No Doubt - Running

16 Coldplay - X & Y
17 Green Day - Wake Me Up When September Ends
18 After Image - Tag-Ulan



About the songs: Very well-chosen for the album. An amazing success compared with the previous one. Unified both musically and lyrically due to flawless arrangement. Track 1 sets the theme really well, and sets the way for the emotional ride of the following tracks. The downside is, the majority of the songs are sad to weeping, so by the middle of the album, the listener might already feel choked with emotion.



Rating: 4.5 out of 5







Break2BREAK
Release Date: October 2006
Working Titles: The End Of Illusions, Breakaway
Copies Made: 75



History: This is my breaking out album. Released from my previous relationship, and having some tangles about it, I've gone "out" to the world to discover who I really am. The album describes the saddest period in my life - alone, and still no answers... yet.
Why "Break"?: To breakaway from who Ithought I should have been. In Track 3, Linkin Park says, "I will never know myself until I do this on my own/ And I will never feel anything else until my wounds are healed/ I will never be anything til I break away from me/ I will break away/ I'll find myself today."



Tracklist:
01 Kylie Minogue - Confide In Me

02 Marion Raven - End Of Me
03 Linkin Park - Somewhere I Belong
04 3 Doors Down - Let Me Go

05 The Cranberries - Linger
06 Imago - Taning

07 Evanescence - My Immortal
08 Radiohead - Creep
09 Dido - White Flag
10 Splender - I Think God Can Explain

11 Fiona Apple - Across The Universe
12 Dashboard Confessional - Vindicated

13 Corinne Bailey Rae - Trouble Sleeping
14 Ang Bandang Shirley - Larong Kalye

15 Michelle Branch - It's You
16 Enya - Only Time
17 The Dawn - Salamat

18 Madonna - Dear Jessie



About the songs: Rock-heavy and full of bitterness and shouts, and in some cases, light-headedness. Personally my deepest album since the songs focus on who I was at the time. Great arrangement of songs, though creaky in some areas. Very nice introduction and ending songs. However, the album is not very listener-friendly because of the angsty theme which most cannot relate to.



Rating: 4 out of 5







Horizon2



ON THE HORIZON
Release Date: October 27, 2006
Working Titles: Try, Sugarbabylove
Copies Made: 2
History: This was my birthday gift to my baby. At that time, I was still "courting" him. A few days after, just before his real birthday, kami na! All the songs here were about us, or rather, about my feelings for him.
Why "On The Horizon"?: From a song of the same title which says, "All I see is love/ Sweet love/ On the horizon/ Oh yeah/ Just one look in your deep brown eyes/ And baby I'm flying."



Tracklist:
01 Keane - Everybody's Changing
02 911 - All I Want Is You
03 D'Sound - Do I Need A Reason
04 Lifehouse - Hanging By A Moment

05 Lisa Loeb - Truthfully
06 Mojofly - Sa Uulitin
07 3 Doors Down - Here Without You

08 Jewel - Fragile Heart
09 Nelly Furtado - Try
10 Gavin DeGraw - Follow Through
11 The Corrs - Make You Mine
12 Coldplay - Swallowed In The Sea
13 Avril Lavigne - Things I'll Never Say

14 Evan & Jaron - The Distance
15 Melanie C - On The Horizon
16 Goo Goo Dolls - Iris
17 Lifehouse - You Belong To Me
18 Ne-Yo - Sexy Love

19 Sarah McLachlan - The Rainbow Connection
20 Imago - Ewan



About the songs: Has this certain commercial feel. Lacks originality. Too generic despite good songs and good arrangement. Good for listening everyday, unlike the previous album. Nice but forgettable except for a few of the songs.



Rating: 3.5 out of 5



Light







LIGHT
Release Date: March 2007

Working Title: A Memory Of Light
Copies Made: 60
History: My first feel-good album. This covers my relationship with my baby, as well as my freedom in being who I am. As the back cover says: Love. Freedom. Light.
Why "Light"?: Describes the overall feel of the album, aside from the word itself being mentioned in a number of the songs.



Tracklist:
01 Rascal Flatts - I'm Moving On
02 Nelly Furtado feat. Attitude - Afraid
03 The Cranberries - Free To Decide
04 John Mayer - New Deep
05 Dixie Chicks - You Can't Hurry Love
06 Ryan Cabrera - On The Way Down
07 Natalie Imbruglia - Satellite

08 Norah Jones - Those Sweet Words
09 Bob Marley feat. Lauryn Hill - Turn Your Lights Down Low
10 Avril Lavigne - Naked

11 Gwen Stefani - 4 In The Morning
12 Gabrielle - Sunshine
13 Jason Mraz - You And I Both
14 Chantal Kreviazuk - Feels Like Home
15 Keane - Somewhere Only We Know
16 Le Ann Rimes - Please Remember
17 Mariah Carey feat. trey Lorenz - I'll Be There

18 Meredith Brooks - Bitch
19 Tina Arena - Now I Can Dance



About the songs: Pivotal compared with all the others. Easy to listen to. Even funny, in some cases. Gives you the feeling that everything is going well because the songs are so soft. Every song here is significantly chosen. Has the best ending song among all of my albums.



Rating: 4.5 out of 5







1 comment:

  1. I'm very lucky to hear 2 from the electrique cd collection- LOVELY, and LIGHT. Thanks so much! If LOVELY made me cry hearing it the first time, LIGHT (although it's "light") made me think! Strange enough, the 10th song strikes me the most for both LOVELY and LIGHT. The song, "Always come back to you", felt like the response of my not-so-secret lover setting me free - love and separation! As for "Naked", I believe it's true that lovers are naked in every sense of the word, something that goes beyond the usual meaning of the word. It takes courage to be naked just as it takes faith to truly love. Love... and perhaps... you will know what it means to stand naked.

    ReplyDelete