Friday, June 2, 2006

My AC/DC Shirt

This evening, I showed my dad the vintage shirts I took home for laundrying. He was doing this T-shirt printing job with someone, and they wanted to get some ideas.



I showed him this black vintage tee I have with the "AC/DC Back in Black" print on it. You probably have seen me wearing it. (Lately, I'm into wearing black tees... dunno why.) I was apprehensive about showing it to him because of that print. Anyway, he was commenting on it - being rubberized, how white looks good on black, etc. and then he asked me, "why do you wear this shirt?" with a funny and yet menacing expression on his face. "Do you know what "AC/DC" means?"



I got very nervous for I knew where we were heading. I said, "Isn't it a band?"



He said, "Yes, but do you know what wearing this shirt means?"



I mumbled, "Yeah... I know" in a very small voice.



"It's connected with batteries and electricity," he added. As if I didn't know. I almost shouted "Of course I know! I teach electronics, remember?" But I didn't answer. I was avoiding his eye.



"AC/DC also means being silahis," he finally said in his almost shouting voice. And when I saw his face, it's like he was enjoying the discomfort he was causing me. I've never seen that expression on him before. It's like he wanted to be mad at me, or... or humiliate me and question me. All I was able to say was, "Yes. I know..."



All along I thought my dad already knew. I'm pretty sure my mom knew about it already. Even if I've brought home Chiyo with me a few times before. My mom was probably hoping I'd turn out straight after all. Perhaps mom didn't tell dad because he knew he wouldn't take it well. Or perhaps dad was just goading me this evening.



It was very uncomfortable afterwards, being in the same room with my dad (we were in the living room). He was doing his work, and I was playing some music but I felt I needed to get out of there. I went out of the house. It was drizzling, but I went out anyway. I needed to buy some smokes because I left mine at the KNL apartment. I didn't mind the rain, as I walking on the streets of our sorta community. Nobody was out on the streets.



I came back and sat just outside the door, looking at Baby while smoking my sorrows away. I felt different then. It was one thing to let your friends know about it, but it's another when your very own dad knows. I thought I was fine with me being bisexual. I thought I've already accepted it. That's why I was surprised I still felt bad after what happened.



I sat outside for a longer while as mom was preparing dinner. I didn't want to be subjected to my dad's scrutiny right then. I almost cried while I was sitting there. I thought, "Yes, dad, I'm bi. That's why I broke up wuth her! That's why I was having problems with my relationships! Now come on, dad, laugh at me! Laugh at your bisexual son!"



When mom announced that dinner was ready, I came in being unnaturally polite to her. My mom was being too kind to me, too. Dad probably told her. They knew about how uncomfortable I was feeling.



Why is the world this way? Why won't it let accepting my sexuality easier for me?



You know what, reader, I have a confession... I am immersing myself now in the world of male homosexuality. And I found that... I don't like it as I thought I would. I don't know what's wrong with me. I am sexless, I think.



I don't like how people keep on looking for sex! You thought I was liberated? I am. But too much is too much. And I... I'm still not very okay with doing it with a man.



Perhaps, eventually I will learn to just like it...



The thing why I can't let hunter go is that he's the only man I think I can love. Weird. Or perhaps, it is just too early to tell. Perhaps I haven't met the right people yet.



Tonight, if I could get hold of some beer, I will drink. I want to escape from these identity problems even for just a few minutes please? Please let me be... happy about myself, even for a while.



Now, where's that beer?





1 comment:

  1. Your dad doesn't know. He sort-of brought that up when they visited the apartment while you were taking a bath. But he didn't think that you were bi or gay or anything. He said "mahinhin ka lang daw etc. (tanungin mo na lang ako)."

    But you know what, payong kaibigan lang, i have been telling you subtly a million times that in this world, there is RIGHT and WRONG and not just things you want to try. If you lose your concept of what is right and wrong and blindly just go through things because you want to know how it feels like, it may make you happy for now, but what about the future? Sometimes, it's better to "suffer" at present but in the long run, you would be truly happy. And not just "happiness" derived from sexual satisfaction.Real happiness that surpassess all material and physical things in this world.

    "If you didn't like it like you thought you would," doesn't that already ring a bell? That perhaps maybe that's not the life for you after all? Think about it. Before you plunge into something deep that you would regret afterwards.

    And in case you didn't know, LUST IS NOT A FLEETING MOMENT. It can last for years. And it does a pretty good job of "disguising" itself into "love" so that more often, people get confused between the two. And more often too, it succeeds into destroying us. And then it's too late when we realize that we were just confused between the two, and we are just too deaf to hear the calling of "true love."

    Many times we think that we are confused. But in reality, there is really nothing to be confused about. The truth is presenting itself in crystal clarity, we're just too blind to notice.

    I'm just telling you all of this as a friend. You may agree or disagree, it's your call after all. And most of all, i'm not telling you this because i want you back or anything of the sort. No hidden agenda involved here. I just want you to think (you should never grow tired of thinking and keeping yourself in control). The heart lies and can sometimes be very deceitful, my friend. You shouldn't always trust it. That's why we have our minds. To guard the heart from making terrible mistakes.

    Lastly, just like what I said one year ago, there wouldn't be any "i-told-you-so looks."

    ReplyDelete