Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Time of my Life

Hi there everyone. Today I am going to elaborate on the songs I included in my much-awaited album for this second semester “Time of my Life”.



Gorillaz: November Has Come – it might seem that I included this song just for the title because most of the lyrics don’t really make much sense. The chorus of this song is what’s important and meaningful. It is a good introduction song though, in my opinion.



Bachelor Girl: Buses And Trains (acoustic) - if you were able to read my past entries especially last November (“The Sweetest Fun”), there would have been no question about the inclusion of this song. Twice, I have mentioned something like “crying on mom’s shoulder”. Perhaps I am weak or perhaps I am just too emotional, or perhaps you haven’t been there, but there were times when you’ll feel you’ve got no one to lean on except your mom, or your family generally. Since I am not in very good terms with my dad and my brother is incapable of having a sensible conversation (he’s a schizophrenic remember), I’ve got no one in my family to talk to except my mom and my pet cat. I’ve never really done it though – talking to my mom. It seems more like the “concept” of having your mom there – that she will always back you up no matter what happen which is important. Maybe one of these days, I will be able to try it and I will tell you how it feels.



Gwen Stefani: The Real Thing – I really like this song. There is a more upbeat version (the original one) but I think this one is better unless you want to dance. I am partly able to relate to this song. The lyrics “A rollercoaster built to crash, but I still love to have you around” fit so well. One of my personal favorites for this album. I also like the part when Gwen sings “It’s only you and I…” Soothes me.



Backstreet Boys: I Still – I was quite worried that many might not like this song. But for me, this sounds nice. Of course, it was really because of the lyrics why I chose this song. I like how the chorus ends with “But still no word from you.” (This makes me think of things I would rather forget – that’s the bad side). “You don’t even know but I still…”



Imago: Akap – this song was supposed to have been included in my previous album “Back for More” but it couldn’t fit, so I placed it here. This will always be one of the most meaningful songs in my life. Last semester, I used to think that if somebody would sing a song for me – it would be this. Then later, I found out that my assumption wasn’t wrong after all. Somebody indeed dedicated this song for me. “Kung ikay’ matino”, and “Kung ika’y lumayo” are the highlights of the lyrics



Radioactive Sago Project: Alcohol -.this was one of the original tracks for this album. In fact, the first working title I had was “Alcohol.” I cannot count how many times I’ve been drunk this semester. I love the feeling of being drunk but I dread how you feel dizzy after. There’s a certain level of drunkenness I like to maintain whenever I drink, but because of pressure from the people you’re drinking with, I end up drinking more, so I puke more. “Bwah!”



Sugababes: Obsession – time to dance. I’ve always been a Sugababes fan ever since they released “Overload”. I think they’ve really got good beats and funky lyrics. Did you listen to the lyrics of this song? How forward yet honest can you get?! I know a lot of you have already been in an obsessive state, so here’s the perfect song for us! I’ve put this in my blog, too. In “Fine Fine”, if I am not mistaken. “Who do you want me to be to make you sleep with me?”



Natalie Imbruglia: Intuition – I am not really a Natalie Imbruglia die-hard fan, but this is already her third contribution in my collections. She has one song per album. Really good beat for this song. One of my first favorites when I bought her album “Left of the Middle.” Why didn’t she release this song, though? “Could’ve turned left, could’ve turned right, but I ended up here yeah, and I feel alright.” Get it?



Simple Plan: My Alien - yay its Simple Plan’s third contribution, too. I think they really make good music, but they’re not very original though. You’ve seen me in my Simple Plan shirt? I don’t need to explain why I included this song. The lyrics are very clear – my girlfriend is an alien! That’s why I have all these supernatural powers! In fact, we’re going to Saturn this summer. You’re free to come with us, just bring your own rocket. And bring food. You cannot photosynthesize.



Mariah Carey: We Belong Together – the number one song last year deserves a place in my album even if I’m not really a Mariah Carey fan. Her last album, “The Emancipation of Mimi” is the only one of hers I’ve got. So far, I am still not tired of listening to this song. This one is special as well. Chiyo and I sing this together, with me as the backing vocals “Come back, come back.” Also, this one of the songs I like to sing when I get drunk. I sort of change this to a cross between a rap song and a scream. Wonder how it sounds like? Well, get me drunk. (I’m serious.)



Tori Amos: A Sorta Fairytale – one of the last to be included for this album. One of Tori’s bearable songs. Some of hers are just too weird, but I like her nonetheless. One of the real musicians out there. Seen the video? Weird but cool. Astig!



Alanis Morissette: Simple Together – (sob) the saddest song in this album. If you’re really into the lyrics of the song, it’s not difficult to weep. I really like how Alanis sings pain. And she’s got a wide vocabulary, too. The last part kills me: “But I was sadly mistaken…”



Marion Raven: Little By Little – this one isn’t included in the first version (the one I gave to my Chem16 students.) I chose this, not because of the lyrics primarily, but because this was the last song I was listening to before I got beaten up last January. I did not include this because I want to wallow in the moment when I was first beaten up, but because of the consequences of that. One of Marion’s better songs from her album. “To make a change, you’ve got to change your mind.” A feat which still eludes me until now.



Lifehouse: Chapter One – also a part of the original track list. The album’s smooth song about strength. “Carry on you say, make the best of today. All I see is struggle along the way. Maybe when the sun, crashes to the gray, I can find the strength to make it through the day.”



Sheryl Crow: The First Cut is the Deepest – if I were to choose one song to represent this album, I would pick this one. Besides its amazing arrangement, the lyrics are very meaningful to me as well. This song follows where Buses and Trains left. “When it comes to being lucky, he’s cursed. When it comes to loving me, he’s worst.” That is, if not loving you at all still counts as “loving.”



Oasis: Don’t Go Away – where the title of this album came from. This one describes the state I am in at present. You probably don’t really know why, but I am really in a “time of my life” at present. Like I am in a crossroads. And I need more time before I can know where I am really headed. “Just to make things right.”



The Cranberries: I’m Still Remembering – wow, this is probably my ultimate favorite song. This has been my favorite since I was in Grade Six! And all through that time, I haven’t got tired of listening to Dolores’ song about fading love. The Cranberries, by the way, is my favorite band. To me, this album is special just for this song alone. My favorite part is the last one, when she sings “Where are you now?” up to “All the way.” Brings back memories.



Eraserheads: Minsan – for my students then and now. “Minsan ay hindi mo na alam ang nangyayari, kahit na anong gawin, lahat ng bagay ay mayroong hangganan. Dahil ngayon, tayo ay nilimot ng kahapon. Di na mapipilitang buhayin an gating pinagsamahan. Ngunit kung sakaling mapadaan baka sakaling ika’y tawagan dahil minsan tayo ay naging tunay na magkaibigan…”



Kamikazee: Narda – I bet some of you are wondering what the significance of this song is. One thing – this is to mark the time when all this happened. This is probably the most popular song these days. So in the future, when you listen to the CD and hear this, you’ll remember “Ah, this was when this song was hot.” And for another reason – ito ay para sa ating imposibleng pag-ibig.



The Beatles: In My Life – the “not-so-hidden” track. The best way to end this album is through this. Listening to this makes me want to look inward and remember everything which has happened in my life as a laboratory instructor. Everything… Faces of former students flash in my mind. Experiments successful and not, fun and irksome. Faces. Laughter. Smiles. Tears. Everything within the 2 minutes and 34 seconds of this song.









1 comment:

  1. bo,
    my friend, i miss you na. galing, may mga pareho pa rin tayong gusto, pero im sure mas nauna kong nagandahan sa dont go away, we belong together, i still & first cut is the deepest.

    hehe.

    miss na kita.

    iba ka talaga. otis ngang matatawa!!!

    ReplyDelete