Friday, July 21, 2006

Vanity House

I live in a two-storey apartment in KNL near UP with two friends - a guy and a girl. We used to have two guinea pigs as pets but the girl took them home, so we've got no animals there anymore except the alley cats. Most of the day, we're not there. We go to work at roughly around the same time every work day - that is between 8 to 9 am. Sometimes earlier.


It is a very simple house - typical for starters like us. It has a white linoleum floor, and white walls. Our living room area is dictated by the spread of a carpet, dotted by throw pillows and bean bags. There's also a small stool there, which serves as a table if you're sitting on the floor. Actually, you have no choice but to sit on the floor since there are no chairs in the living room area. In front of it, near the stairs, is a shoe rack, in which 6 out of the 8 items belong to the girl.


The dining area is made up of a green table-clothed table, and two cream-colored stools. We are three in the house, so when we eat together, the other eats on the living room area. The table is piled with stuff. For instance, I think my ash tray and my lighters are there. There's also one of the girl's shirts folded on a corner with her books, and the guy's facial cleanser standing near the edge. We don't usually eat there, so its okay for us for the table to be stacked with a lot of things. At least, when nobody's using it.


The kitchen area's main attraction is the ref, which at present, is broken. As usual, its top serves as another platform for our stuff. Beside the ref is a quite hidden area where we store our empty bottles of beer, some spare plastic bags, boxes, and the guinea pigs' old cage. The kitchen doesn't have cooking materials. Not even a stove or a frying pan. We don't cook our own meals. We do have six drinking glasses, some plates, utensils, a knife, mugs, two bowls, a shot glass, and some others. The girl brought her oven toaster from home, but we've never used it since we moved in.


The bathroom is... functional enough. The toilet bowl has no flush, and we've got no shower nor bath tubs. The floor is tiled, but the walls are painted pink. At least, there is enough water. On one wall, there is a very small mirror (about 4 square inches) left by the house's previous occupant. That small mirror makes our bathroom different from all the other bathrooms I've had the chance to use.


You can get to the second floor through climbing the wooden stairs. There, you have two "bedrooms" although the division isn't that enclosing. The first room you'll come into after climbing the stairs is the guy's, even if he seldom sleeps there since he prefers to sleep on the cooler first floor. It's filled with his stuff mostly, but we've also got some stuff in there, me and the girl, still stacked in boxes from when we moved in. What I like about this room are the old-fashioned windows. They look nice although not very functional. It gives the otherwise boring house a sense of uniqueness... and a sense of age.


The other room is shared by me and the girl. On one side, we have our "clothes area." For you see, we rather have a large number of clothes lying around, but we have no cabinet to put them into yet. We have a very large window, which lets in lots of light and unfortunately, heat. Near the bed is a lot of stuff. CD's, books, accessories, empty food packs, and some other things. You might think that we're pigs, leaving our stuff to stay in that condition. But its tolerable, I'm telling you. At least, there are no flies yet.


You might have noticed that we have no TV or computer. You're right. We only have a CD/cassette player as our source of entertainment, so if we get bored enough by it, we go to internet cafes. Even so, I'm quite comfortable in there. I'm not a TV watcher anyway, and I love music. As long as I've got music, I'll be okay.


Who needs TV's when you've got wonderful company to talk to. The two people I'm living with are not boring persons at all. We've got colorful lives, and something new always happens every now and then. We've got common interests and common backgrounds so we never have the lack of a topic to chat about.


The guy works in a laboratory in a hospital. He's a gentle man, quite talkative at times. He likes to sing and dance in front of us just to entertain us. He's quite vain. He worries about his looks, his body. Anyway, it's okay. He's not that annoying type of vain persons. Lovewise, he's single right now. His relationships are, to say the least, unconventional because his partners always turn out to be colorful people - like characters in a book. He likes to write, too, and among the three of us, he likes poems the most.


Me and the girl work in the same place - in IC. She's a researcher while I, as you very well know, am an instructor. Both of us are taking our masterals degree. Mostly, she's a quiet girl. Observant. Sensitive. She's also quite talkative but in a relatively more reserved manner. Between us, she'll often start with, "You know, a while ago, this person was..." She likes to talk about what happened during the day. She's vain, too, although she decidedly would not admit it. Well, almost all women are vain anyway. She takes particular care of her hair. She cannot live without her "Hair Doctor." Even in bed, she makes sure that she doesn't tangle her hair too much. She likes music and she likes to sing and dance. She likes to write, too.


And that leaves me to talk about. I don't really know how people see me as I am. I am not a very violent person, but I can be harsh with words. I am lazy and disorderly. I sleep late, and I smoke a lot. I can let my whole night pass doing nothing but smoke and listen to music. I like to think, too, and I like to share some of my novel ideas. I like to be funny, but I'm often quiet. I am fond of abusing other people in private when I'm in a particularly devilish mood. I LOVE music, and I like to sing and dance, too, although I can't say if I'm even a tolerable singer. I LOVE to write, and among us, I am the one who blogs the most.


Am I vain? Yes, but not in a physically aesthetic manner (for I have precious few to be vain about in that category.) I am vain about my personality, since in my perspective, I'm one of those enviable people you'll ever meet. I'm open, easy-going but still manages to get good grades, well-rounded, funny, creative, and loads more. I esteem myself that I did not turn out to be like some people I know who got stuck in the personality they were in since elementary school.


Now these three people, even if they don't know it, are probably the bestest of friends. They've been living with each other for more than a year now. They hide almost nothing from each other. They've seen each other cry at their most depressing moments. They've laughed at each other's follies. They've witnessed each of them change and grow as a person within the one year they've been together. They've been family - me and the girl as husband and wife with the other guy as the pet. Hehehe.


All good things come to an end, and the girl is moving out of the house. This weekend, she said. She's moving out for her own reasons.


So tonight, they're going somewhere to have fun and sing their hearts out. Somewhere to dance and somewhere to drink alcohol. Somewhere where they can fool around and simply just have fun. One last time together as housemates.


Drews Cheers to Chase, Rhay, and Bry, the Bloggers Three! Cheers to friendship! Cheers to love! Cheers to friendship which led to love! Hehehehe!

2 comments:

  1. wow...it pains me as well...but perhaps all this is a part of our constant evolution...

    ReplyDelete