Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Bedsheets & Bootie Calls

November 19, 2010


I only went to Trinoma earlier because I needed to buy a new bedsheet. These past few days, sleeping on my bed had become quite an itchy experience so I convinced myself that I wasn't recently on another of my totally brainless shopping splurges. Clean bedsheets are necessary for living.

To my dismay, linen shopping took less than 10 minutes and I found myself aimlessly walking around the mall at 7:30pm. It was too early to go home and I was still too full for dinner. I was thinking of buying another new shirt for my birthday (I already bought the most amazing long-sleeved black-and-white checkered shirt from People days ago) but then, I felt that I have already been spending too much on clothes. My dorm cabinet is already 90% full of them. So I decided instead to go to the 4th floor to just check whether there were a lot of people watching the new Harry Potter movie. Only to check of course. I'm sure that I wouldn't be able to find seats anyway. And I was supposed to watch it with friends.

Minutes later I found myself inside the cinema with no one but my Jansport bag. I did not feel alone, even if I was surrounded by groups of friends. It was nothing compared to how I watched Half-Blood Prince alone two years ago, only a few weeks after I broke up with my long-time boyfriend. I was watching KC Concepcion's infomercial about defeating poverty when somebody texted me.

"Ei"

And when I saw who it was from, I thought I caught a taste of how it would have felt to see someone come back from the dead.

It was V3.

V3 was the guy I got to know weeks ago, on the first night I decided to start dating again. He was too good-looking for me. And when he stopped texting only a few hours after, I thought I got his message. It was a measure of how short-lived it all was that he did not remember me too well (but obviously I did since he was that good-looking). He had to ask me to remind him. And when he finally did, all he said was:

"Ah. I'm horny. Haha"

I told him I was watching HP7.

"Dapat tnext mko.."

"For what? For the movie or for other? Haha"

"Both.haha.i wana <censored> while watchng"

I inwardly shook my head, thinking about men. Sex. It is always about sex. I felt like turning him down (feeling choosy) since I do not need another buddy. And I felt frustrated why most of my dates reject me as a boyfriend but tend to keep me for sex. But my oh my, he's really so... yum!

The movie was about to begin and I had to stop texting, but I kept holding my phone in my hand just in case it vibrates again.

It never did. But I didn't mind.

One point for Harry.

***

Hours after, in the taxi on my way to somewhere:

"I'm sorry I was just thinking of my problems," the taxi driver explained as he accidentally drove past my destination. "I do not know what came to me. This is the first time this thing happened. Why didn't you say anything?"

I did not want to tell him that I was also deep in thought. So I just shrugged. And he laughed.

"If I drove to Luneta, you will go with me?"

I had to laugh. Weakly. Maybe I would have. Out of sheer boredom. And maybe loneliness.

"If I were a kidnapper, I would have kidnapped you by now. You didn't say a thing!"

I should have been creeped out by his increasingly hysterical voice but I knew that kidnapping me was silly and pointless. So I just smiled and hoped I can get out of the cab soon.

***

I was walking on my way to the dorm when my phone vibrated. An unknown number was calling me. That has been happening more and more often lately. Four unknown numbers have tried calling me in the past two days. I rejected it and sent a message instead, asking who he/she was. My phone rang again. I pushed 'answer' but I did not speak. Two seconds passed before a guy's nervous voice I did not recognize tentatively said hello. I heard girls laughing in the background. Something in me snapped and I irritably ended the call.

***

I placed my phone down on the table and waited. I was staring at its unlit screen. All the time I was sitting there, it never lit up. I looked down on it and saw nothing but my own worth reflected.


No comments:

Post a Comment