Wednesday, April 13, 2011

What Can Be Learned In Dreams

August 23, 2010


Last night I dreamed that I was staring at his hands. Who "he" was, I do not know. Only that in the dream I've known him for a long time.

We were in a bar, I remember. The music was very loud but we weren't dancing. Nobody was. Then we were walking to this corridor lined with rooms. The next thing I knew we were inside one. We were both on the bed, watching TV. I even remember making comments about what we were watching. It was something about nature, I believe. A documentary.

We were lying on the bed, side by side, but there was nothing outwardly romantic about it. In the dream, I had feelings for the guy. In the dream, I found myself staring at his face, his hands. He wasn't the most good-looking guy I've ever seen, that's for sure. But I felt that every minute I was spending with him was filling my heart.

I wasn't making any moves though. In the dream, it was like we had an unspoken agreement that nothing will happen between us. Like he was just there to accompany me. Or that we were on a business trip of sorts. He was polite to me though, even warm. And I was dying to tell him that I've loved him for a long long time. But me being me, I did nothing but look at his hands and his face when he couldn't catch me. It will never be enough, I knew that in the dream, but strangely, it was.

***

Some experiences are seared into our memory. And that includes dreams too. And I think there's something magical about that. That you keep in your heart things which did not actually happen. That they affect us in the same way actual events do. That you also grow and learn even when you are lying on your bed, unconscious.

It will be a curious thing when somebody asks me, "What is your most romantic experience?" and my answer will be something which happened in a dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment